DIY: INTRODUCTION TO DO IT YOURSELF
If a majority of vapers buy liquids in 10ml vials, there is a cheaper but more complex technique. This is the DIY. The principle is as follows: you buy your base, your aromas, the nicotine and you mix everything. Be careful, it’s not as easy as it looks.
Some complexity is present in the dosage of each component. You must first calculate the number of ml (millilitres) of the base, nicotine and flavourings, or even additives if necessary. For this, it is necessary to use bottles, syringes or flasks graduated in ml. Be careful, if you modify the volume of each element, everything is modified.
Are you a creative person? So don’t hesitate to test flavour blends yourself thanks to DIY. You could even be emulated by your entourage and why not discover the next fashionable e-liquid. Ready to become little chemists?
What do I need for my DIY?
First of all, in terms of liquid, you need several things: the base, which contains propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) as well as other components depending on the brand. Alcohol can be added in very small quantities to improve the taste and nicotine can sometimes be added directly. This same nicotine, if it is not integrated into the base, can be purchased separately in the form of 10ml boosters. Each of these boosters contains 200mg (20mg/ml) of pure nicotine which will mix with the base to achieve the desired level.
By composing your liquids, you will also learn to understand them. You will know each component, learn how to dose it to your taste and above all know precisely what is used in your e-liquid. Propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) will no longer hold any secrets for you. This can also be a way to reduce your nicotine consumption more easily, you can calculate to the nearest mg and therefore, for example, vape 4mg/ml, a rate that is not necessarily available in ready-made vials. In the same logic, you can therefore go from 6 mg/ml to 0 nicotine, while going through each possible dosage.No need to go from 6 to 3 directly, you will be entitled to intermediate steps. If you are the precise type, you can calculate intermediate rates such as 3.5 mg/ml.
The last important point, by creating your e-liquids, one thing is very interesting: you will be proud of yourself. You will be able to display a certain satisfaction of having composed your elixir or your magic potion like a true Gallic druid! You will also have the opportunity to try certain things by mixing different aromas, but be careful of the correct calculation so as not to end up with sock juice (you risk being much less proud of yourself, unfortunately).
How to do it?
First of all, precautions must be taken. While nicotine is not very dangerous when you inhale it, it is no less harmful in a pure form (boosters) which should not come into contact with your skin, your eyes or be swallowed as it is. It is best to wash your hands once the mixture is finished or even to wear latex gloves and protective glasses to avoid any risks. On the other hand, the components of the mixture should never be used alone, only the mixture can be inhaled.
If you ingest any of these products, contact a doctor or the emergency room immediately. If any of these products come into contact with your eyes, rinse thoroughly with clean water and contact a doctor or emergency services immediately. DIY is something interesting but should not be underestimated, each product can be dangerous if used incorrectly. It is also advisable to carry out the mixtures in a well-ventilated room and to leave all the elements in a cupboard inaccessible to children or animals.
Now comes the crucial moment of preparation, mixing. For this, we have prepared a summary of the steps to follow… Are you ready? Here are the steps:
- Step 1: Prepare the necessary equipment Install yourself in an airy space, free of clutter and keep children and animals away.
- Step 2: Wash your hands and equip yourself with protection if you have it (gloves, glasses if necessary): it’s important!
- Step 3: Pour the desired amount of base into an empty bottle, using a vial or syringe.
- Step #4: Pump out the correct amount of nicotine, either emptying the boosters or using a syringe for a more precise rate. To empty a booster, you can very gently remove the tip with pliers.
- Step 5: Add the desired aroma(s) to your mixture using a graduated flask. The dosage of an aroma is delicate (to know the dosage of your aroma you have to go to its product sheet).
- Step 6: If needed, add additives in the same way as the aroma.
- Step 7: Store and clean all the equipment used with water, leaving it to dry well. Don’t forget to wash your hands afterwards.
- Step 8: Shake the mixture in a closed bottle, then let it sit.
How long is the wait?
Depending on the aroma and the mixture, the duration of “ steep ” can vary from a few days to several weeks. You have understood, that the principle is more or less the same as that of good wine.
The preparation of your liquid can become easier thanks to our advice, but the maturation as for it remains a stage that we cannot optimize. It will take some time to finally taste your masterpiece. The aromas of your mixture are the cause of this maturation time, they need rest to give all their flavour to your liquid. The more flavours you add in the same preparation, the longer you will have to wait.
Here are several recommended durations and we will remind you of them.
- For a fruity aroma (alone), count 1 to 5 days steep.
- For a mixture of fruity aromas, 3 to 7 days.
- For all mint, anise, liquorice, coffee or spice flavours, count 7 to 14 days steep.
- Gourmet aromas such as chewing gum or caramel require 14 to 21 days to mature.
- The classic aromas (tobacco) are perhaps the toughest because they require at least 15 days of steeping.
- If you mix several classics, count at least 21 days.
Remember to shake your bottle (closed of course) once a day to continue mixing all the aromas.